If you stream your events using an external encoder, you will need to install our dedicated application on your local environment (i.e. the same device that runs your preferred encoding application) in order to stream using MPEG-DASH.
Learn more about streaming using MPEG-DASH at 'How to stream to your event with Fail-Safe Streaming'.
⚠️Note: This feature is currently available for all Enterprise members only.
Download and install the transmitter service
- After creating your event, open the Manage production dropdown in the upper right corner and choose Stream via RTMP to open the live preview page.
- Select the Fail-Safe Streaming tab.
- On the left side, click the Download button to download the Vimeo Fail-Safe Streaming Transmitter Service application.
- Follow the onscreen steps to complete the installation.
Using the Vimeo transmitter service
Once the transmitter service is installed on your local environment:
- Copy the URL and Stream Key under the Fail-Safe Streaming tab on your event’s preview page.
- Paste the URL and Stream Key into the appropriate fields within your encoder.
- Launch the Fail-Safe Streaming Transmitter Service application.
- Start streaming from your encoder.
- The transmitter service will start receiving your RTMP signal and will transform it to MPEG-DASH prior to sending it to Vimeo.
Is the fail-safe streaming transmitter service compatible with a third-party hardware encoder?
Yes, you can enjoy the benefits of streaming with fail-safe streaming with your preferred hardware encoder. In order to stream from your hardware encoder to the transmitter service, simply replace the localhost section of your RTMP URL with the local IP address of the transmitter service.