Folders are an organizational tool available to all Vimeo members that you can access through your library.
In this article:
- Folder functionality for different membership types
- Create folders
- Add videos to a folder
- Rename or delete a folder
- Share the review page of all videos in a folder
- Folders on the video page
Feature access by account type
Folders function differently depending on your membership type:
- For Free, Basic, and Plus members, folders are not shareable, linkable, or visible to anyone but the account owner (if you’d like to create groupings of videos to share, you’ll want to make a showcase, group, or channel).
- For all other plan types, folders are a private workspace for collaboration. Contributor team members added to a folder can upload, manage, replace, and embed videos within that specific folder. Contributors can also upload content to the folder directly from their own accounts.
Create and add videos to folders
To create a folder, follow these steps:
- Click New Folder at the top right of your library.
- In the window that opens, add a name to your folder and invite any team members with whom you’d like to collaborate. You can also enable Slack integration from this page.
- Click Create. The folder will appear in your left navigation.
4. When you create a new folder you will see the option to Invite people and upload.
Note: Enterprise teams can also add folders and subfolders from their Video Library page.
Add videos to a folder
After you create a folder, you can add videos to it by clicking Upload or Add videos or by dragging and dropping videos directly into it. You can add multiple videos to a folder at once by clicking their checkboxes and then dragging and dropping them to the desired folder.
To move a video from one folder to another, open the first folder, select the video you want to move, and drag and drop it into the other folder in the left panel.
To upload a video directly into a folder, open the folder in your library, then drag the video file from your File Explorer or Finder window into the browser window with that folder open. Alternatively, open the folder, then click New video > Upload to open your File Explorer or Finder window. Select the video file to start the upload.
- It’s not possible to put one video into multiple folders.
- By default, any videos you add to your account via Create will go in the folder labeled Create.
You can further organize the videos within your folders by making subfolders. To create a subfolder, navigate to one of your folders and in the upper right section of the page, click the (+) New Folder button to create and name your subfolder.
Please note the following about subfolders:
- You can create subfolders up to 10 levels deep within the main parent folder.
- All subfolders will inherit the permissions of the parent folder.
- When the top-level folder is shared with a member of the team, they will also have access to the subfolders.
- If a new subfolder is added to a folder after sharing the folder with a team member, that individual will also have access to the newly created subfolder.
- Team owners and Admins can also share a subfolder separately from its parent folder if you want to restrict access to some of the content in the parent folder.
Rename or delete a folder
If you hover over a folder, you’ll see an ... icon appear. Click the icon to access the options to Rename or Delete your folder. Choosing Delete will bring up a confirmation module to delete the folder, with the option to delete the videos within the folder as well.
You can also click the gear icon in the upper-right section of the page to open the folder settings modal window. Below the names of your team members who have folder access, you’ll find a Delete folder button; note that only the owner and account admins have the ability to delete folders.
Note for Enterprise Accounts: To rename an Enterprise video’s folder, you can also go to your Video Library home page and click on the options menu (•••) to the right to edit the folder name to the desired one.
Share the review page of all videos in a folder
If you have a Vimeo Pro account or higher, you can share the review pages for all of the videos. To do so, click the Share button on the folder page (located below your profile picture, to the left of the folder settings icon) or within the review page of a video that is in the folder.
At the bottom of the modal window that pops up, click Enable to access the shareable link. You can then copy the link to share it with reviewers.
Folders on the video page
You can see which folder and subfolder a video is located in at the top left corner of the video page. You can navigate to the folders from these links as well.