To edit your video's settings, go to your video manager and click on the title of your video. To the right of the player, you’ll find the video’s Privacy settings, Player settings, a link to the review page (Pro and higher; Basic and Plus will see Comments), a link to the video’s Analytics panel, and Advanced that takes you to additional video settings.
Above the player, you'll see your video’s current privacy setting, a button to copy a link to your video’s recipient view as well as your embed code, and the Publish to social modal.
In this article:
- Update your video title and description
- Update your video's privacy settings
- Customise the player
- Create a custom URL
- Add credits to your video
- Replace your video
- Edit your video with Vimeo Create
- Delete your video
- Video Page
Update your video's title and description
To make changes to your video’s title and description, follow these steps:
1. Go to the video manager.
2. Click on the title of your video.
3. Click into the fields that appear below the player and type into them to update them.
4. Press return/Enter on your keyboard or click outside of the field to save your changes.
💡 Tip: When typing in the description field, press Shift+Enter on your keyboard to start a new line.
If you want to point to another site in your video description, you can input (or paste) the full URL in the description. Unfortunately, there is currently no way to create a worded hyperlink (e.g. "click here").
Update your video's privacy settings
You can update your video's privacy settings by clicking Privacy to the right of the video. To learn more about the options in this panel see Manage your video's privacy settings.
Customize the player
You can customise how your video’s player will appear to your viewers, both on-site––if the video is not public or password-protected––and when embedded, by clicking the Player button to the right of the player. In this view, you can update your video’s thumbnail, change the player’s accent color and tools, and select other details about how the video appears.
To change your thumbnail, press the Thumbnail button to the upper left corner the player when in the Customise view. A thumbnail will be automatically generated, but you’ll also see the option to upload a custom thumbnail or select one from the video.
- Upload: Want to upload your own thumbnail image? Clicking the "Upload" button will allow you to choose a JPG, GIF, or PNG file from your computer. Please note that custom thumbnail files cannot be larger than 9600px wide or 5400px tall. For best results, we recommend uploading an image with the same dimensions as your video (for example, uploading a 1920px x 1080px thumbnail file for a 1920 x 1080 video). Please note that while we support GIF files, animated GIFs are not supported at the moment.
- Select from video: Begin playing the video in the preview player to select a specific frame. You can use the Shift + arrow keys on your keyboard to scrub through your video frame by frame. When you find the image you like, choose "Select this frame" in the top left-hand corner of the preview player.
To toggle your profile picture, video title, and byline on or off, click the blue box inside the upper left corner of the player. By default, if you select Let users decide, your profile picture, title, and byline will all appear in the upper left corner of the player.
To decide if your viewers can like, save, share, and embed your video click on the blue box in the upper right corner of the player.
Finally, to customise the player tools (e.g. volume, fullscreen, logo) press the playbar along the bottom of the player. You can upload a new custom logo or select from the ones you’ve already added to your account by toggling on the custom logo option and clicking the blue box that now appears to the right of the playbar.
To exit from the customisation view, just press the Esc key on your keyboard or press the Cancel button in the upper right corner of the screen.
Create a custom URL
If you'd like to create a custom URL for your video, click on the Advanced button on the right side of the page to go to the classic Video Settings page. From there, you can head to the Distribution tab and make a custom URL for your video under the section labeled Discovery. The format of custom video URLs is vimeo.com/username/thecustompart. For example, a video on our staff account about the Vimeo player has the custom URL: vimeo.com/staff/player.
Add credits to your video
- You can also add credits to your video from the video’s classic settings .
- Scroll down to Credits and add yourself, or another contributor, to your video's credits by clicking the + button and entering their name, role, and Vimeo profile link or email address.
- If you follow the person you are crediting on Vimeo, entering their name will auto-populate their Vimeo profile link.
- Changes are automatically saved, and the credit will now appear on your video’s recipient page.
Note: Adding credits is not available if your video is set to "Hide from Vimeo"or "Unlisted." The person who is credited will now appear as a Collaborator on your profile page.
You can remove a credit at any time by going back to the settings drawer, just click on the red X next to the name of the person you want to remove. Changes are automatically made.
Replace your video
If you would like to upload a new version of your video but keep the URL, analytics, likes, and comments associated with its video page, use the "Replace video" feature.
Click on the Advanced settings placed below the settings drawer on the right-hand side of the video, then click on the Collaboration tab and choosing Versions sections of your video settings, click the Replace video button to upload a new video file.
Edit your video with Vimeo Create
If you created your video using Vimeo Create, you will see an Edit video button on the video settings page. Clicking this will bring you to the Vimeo Create editor, allowing you to update your video.
You can delete your video by doing the following:
- Go to your video manager.
- Click on the video you want to delete.
- On the edit page, open the ••• menu in the upper right corner
- Click Delete video.
When you share a video set to "Unlisted" or "Private" (which includes team members) those recipients will see a cleaner version of the video page that places more of the focus on your video, and less on external distractions, such as links to other parts of the website and video recommendations.
If you’ve set a team/company logo for your account, your viewer will be able to see it in the upper left corner of the page, along with our new comments panel to the right of the player if you’re a Basic or Plus user, or a link out to your Review Page if you’re a Pro, Business, Premium, or Enterprise user.