Groups are mini-communities within Vimeo that allow members to share, discuss, and collaborate on videos with each other.
In this article:
- Access and create groups
- Configure group settings
- Add a video to a group
- Remove a video from a group
- Invite people to your group
- Join or leave a group
- Transfer group ownership
- Delete a group
- Group albums
- Troubleshoot adding videos to groups
Access and create groups
To access your groups, hover over your profile picture in the top right corner and choose Collections. To create a group, head to the groups page and click Create a Group, then follow the steps to customize it to your liking.
Configure group settings
You can configure your group's settings by clicking Settings from your group page, then editing the fields to your liking. Click Save Changes when you're done.
To make your group private, follow these steps:
- Click Settings on your group page
- Go to the Membership tab.
- Under Group Privacy Settings you can choose to make your group visible to anyone or limit it to members of the group.
Note: If you opt to make your group private, anyone who's not a member of the group who navigates to it will see a message stating that this is a private group that they do not have permission to view. This privacy setting will also hide the group from your profile page.
Add a video to a group
To add a video to your group, follow these steps:
- Go to the video's page
- Clicking the Collections button that appears in the video player.
- Select your group.
Note: You can add each of your videos to a maximum of 10 groups.
Note: If you've applied privacy settings to your individual videos, the group privacy generally overrides the video's privacy setting, with the exception of videos marked Unlisted or Hide from Vimeo, which will not be visible in a group. Videos with all other privacy settings will show in the group.
Remove a video from a group
To remove a video from a group, follow these steps:
- Go to the video’s page.
- Click the Collections button that appears in the video player.
- Uncheck the groups you would like to remove that video from.
Note: If a video that was previously removed is added back to a group, the video will return to its original spot in the group. For example, if your group is sorted by Most Recent, the video’s placement will be based on the time it was originally added, not the time you re-added it.
Invite people to your group
You can invite people to your group by clicking Invite on your group's homepage. Then add people by Vimeo screen name or email address.
Note: If you are a new Basic member, you have to wait 3 months before inviting other users to join your group.
Join or leave a group
Transfer group ownership
If you are the moderator of a group and decide to leave the group, you will need to transfer ownership to another moderator or group member. If you don't, the group will be orphaned. To transfer ownership to another user, go to your Group Settings, then click the Ownership tab.
Delete a group
To delete a group, go to the Settings tab and click Delete this group. The group will be permanently removed from Vimeo.
Albums are great way to organize the videos within your group. You can create a group album if you're a moderator for that group.
To create a group album, follow these steps:
- Go to the settings page for your group and navigate to the Video tab.
- Click the Manage your group Albums link.
- Click Create a New Album button under the green Browse Albums heading.
If you organize your group videos into Albums, you can choose the order in which you'd like them to appear. To do so, follow these steps:
- Go to your group's settings and click Manage your group Albums in the Videos tab.
- Click the gear icon to go to Settings.
- Choose from the dropdown menu how you'd like to arrange your videos.
- If you choose Manually, drag and drop up to 100 videos in any order you want and save your changes.
Troubleshoot adding videos to groups
If you’re having trouble adding your video to a specific group, here are some tips:
- Make sure you're logged in to your account and verify that you are indeed a member of the group.
- Check the Privacy Settings of your video to make sure you have enabled it to be added to collections like Groups, Channels, and Albums. Keep in mind you can add your video to a maximum amount of 10 groups!
- Note: If viewers are located in the United Kingdom or European Union and are not logged into a Vimeo account, they will be prompted to log in to watch an unrated video or a video rated “Mature” on vimeo.com.
- Finally, take into consideration the Privacy Settings for the group itself. Certain moderators choose not to allow other people to add videos to their group. Other groups require that a moderator approve videos before they actually show up on the group page.