iMovie is a simple video editor that comes standard on many Macs. It can also be downloaded in the Mac App Store for free.
Export to your computer, then upload using a browser
You’ll be able to check your file to make sure it looks its best before uploading to Vimeo.
There are more steps involved.
You’ll have more fine tuned control over your compression settings in iMovie.
A browser will be required.
- Highlight your final sequence.
- Go to File > Share > File...
- In the File menu, select the following options:
Enter the title for your video.
If desired, enter a description for your video.
⚠️ This description will not appear on Vimeo.
If desired, enter some tags for your video.
⚠️ These tags will not appear on Vimeo.
Video and Audio
Choose the highest available for best quality.
*These bitrates are suggested for average video files. If your video contains below average visual complexity (such as a slideshow presentation or talking head interview), choose a lower data rate. If your video contains above average visual complexity (such as a video with high levels of grain or a sporting event), choose a higher video bitrate.
If you’re having trouble with video quality, try switching to the highest bit rate value for your video’s resolution, or setting the quality to “Best (ProRes)” instead.Remember: Lower data rates lead to smaller file sizes and faster uploads! Experiment to pick the lowest data rate that yields an acceptable image quality.
Then, choose the average bitrate appropriate to your video file using the slider:
SD: 2-5 mbps
720p: 5-10 mbps
1080p: 10-20 mbps
2K: 20-30 mbps
4K: 30-60 mbps
5K or higher: 50- 80 mbps
- Add to Theater
Example settings for a standard 1080p video:
- Click "Next..."
- In the next window, name your file next to "Save As" and select a destination location for the exported file on your computer. Pick somewhere that you will remember — for example, your Desktop.
- Click "Save."
- The export will begin. You can track its progress by clicking on the blue circle in the upper right-hand corner of iMovie.
- Once the export is complete, a notification will appear indicating that your share was successful. View your finished, compressed file to make sure it looks and sounds correct — then upload it to Vimeo!