Vimeo does not allow third parties to access users' private videos. We don't provide copyright enforcement agencies (or anyone else) with backdoor access to your account or videos.
That said, there are a number of ways that copyright owners or their agents can find and send takedown notices for videos that currently have a restricted privacy setting:
- The video was not always private and they detected it before the setting was changed
- The video was embedded on a third-party site to which they had access
- The video was placed in a collection with a less restrictive privacy setting, which would override the native video setting.
- The video was reported to them by someone with the password or who otherwise had access
- The user who uploaded the video did not actually choose a restricted privacy setting
It's actually a violation of our rules to upload any video for which you don't have all the necessary rights and permissions, no matter what privacy setting you select.