You have the ability to share your screen with your audience using our browser-based encoder.
In this article:
Things to know
- For recurring events this feature works with Chrome, Firefox, and Safari.
- With this feature, you can only stream and record the audio from your microphone/audio input sources detected under Camera/Webcam settings when screen-sharing. Desktop audio will not come through (i.e. any music playing on your computer).
- The resolution of your stream is determined based on the active source at the time you start the stream. So if your camera outputs at 720p but your screen is 1080p, be sure to start the stream with your screen active if you wish to share your screen at 1080p.
- Screensharing is not available when the stream is connected via RTMP. If using RTMP, you can share screen through your broadcast encoder. Here's how to do it with Livestream Studio.
⚠️Note for macOS users: If you are running macOS 10.15.3 (Catalina), you will need to enable additional permission in order to share your screen using this method.
- Navigate to System Preferences on your Mac and access the Security & Privacy settings. Select Screen Recording from the left menu and click on the Privacy tab. Make sure Google Chrome has been checked and then restart Chrome. Once done, you should now be able to share your entire screen and other applications on your Mac using the Vimeo Live browser-based go-live experience.
Walkthrough (recurring events)
To access this feature, first create a Live Event and configure the basic information (title, start time, date, privacy, etc.)
Once ready, click Manage Production > Stream with Vimeo. You will be taken to the Broadcaster page. To share your screen, click the Share Screen icon on the right side of the video stream.
This opens the screen selection page.
Within this menu, you can choose to share your entire screen, a specific application, or a Chrome browser tab. You can then select from all detected sources for the option you chose (e.g. Screen 1 or Screen 2 if you have multiple screens). Click Share to begin sharing your screen.
When sharing your screen, the screen share icon will appear blue. Click the icon again to stop your screen share.