You can increase viewer engagement during your virtual events by hosting Q&A sessions directly in your event. This is available alongside the live chat feature. If you embed the live chat on your website, the Q&A will be included.
Live Q&A allows you to accept questions, have viewers vote to order questions based on popularity, publish the question to the stream, and ultimately answer them live.
In this article, learn about:
- Setting up Q&A
- Adding Q&A graphics to a scene
- Displaying and answering questions
- Ending the Q&A session
- Exporting the event Q&A
Setting up Q&A
Once you have set up your virtual event, you can see a Q&A tab on the left side of the page, where you can click Start Q&A to open your event up to questions. You can do this before your stream or while you're live, although note that you cannot take action on a question until your event is broadcasting.
This will notify your viewers that they can begin to submit questions on both the on-site Vimeo event page and the embedded chat window. Viewers can choose whether to submit questions anonymously or with their names attached.
Note: The character limit for questions in a Live Q&A is a maximum of 240 characters or 3 lines.
An indicator below the chat box shows the number of characters remaining to the question-askers while typing questions.
Questions viewers ask will be posted to the Q&A window immediately upon submission unless you have moderation enabled. Viewers can click the thumbs-up icon to vote on questions they like.
Under the Active tab, questions will populate, which you can sort either by Recent or Popular.
Adding Q&A graphics to a scene
⚠️Note: This section is only relevant if you stream to a recurring event or a webinar via our browser-based broadcaster page.
If you are adding Q&A and selected Stream with Vimeo when setting up your recurring event, you will need to add it to a scene on the broadcaster page to show the questions’ graphics overlays.
- Below the preview player, click on the scene you want the question graphics to appear with.
- Click the Q&A icon in the left navigation menu.
- In the panel that opens, click Add to scene.
- An icon will appear in the selected scene thumbnail indicating that the poll graphic is included.
- The Q&A will be enabled for that scene, so when you display a question graphic (discussed below), it will appear when you click Show question for each question.
To disable the Q&A graphics, click Disable Q&A below the preview player.
Displaying and answering questions
⚠️ Note: It’s only possible to display question graphic overlays when streaming via the browser-based broadcaster page. If you are streaming via an external encoder, questions will only appear in the chat window.
When you’d like to answer a question:
- Hover the cursor over the question in the Active tab.
- Depending on how you are streaming, you will see either an Answer or Show question button. Click it to show the question.
- A graphic overlay will appear as a lower third with the question. There is no option to type in an answer in the Q&A module. You would be expected to address the question within the stream.
- You can hide (and re-show) the graphic overlay by clicking the corresponding Hide (Show) in the Active tab.
- When you’ve finished answering, hover over the question in the Q&A panel and click Archive to remove the question from the list. You may also archive questions without answering them or publishing them to the stream.
If you've archived a question by mistake, you can switch over to the Archived tab, hover the cursor over the questions and click Unarchive. This will put the question back in the Active tab.
Ending the Q&A session
To end your Q&A session, click End Q&A or End session in the Q&A panel (depending on how you’re streaming).
Please note that ending Q&A does not end the live chat. Live chat will end as soon as the broadcast ends and will not be available afterward.
Exporting the event Q&A
Once you end the Q&A, you can export a CSV log of the Q&A by click Export in the Q&A panel.
- If you streamed via an external encoder, this is at the top of the Q&A panel.
- If you streamed to a recurring event or webinar with Vimeo (using the broadcaster page), this is below the Start Q&A button.
If you're streaming to a recurring event, this button opens a drop-down menu with a list of the date/times of all streams in the last 30 days that you can archive; select Current event or Active Q&A session for the active event.
The Q&A CSV includes the following information:
Name (person who asked it or "anonymous")
Number of upvotes
Approved (yes/no/N/A – this only applies to Enterprise customers who have access to moderation features)
Q&A number (if you held multiple Q&A sessions within one stream, i.e. you started a Q&A, then ended it, then started it again prior to ending your broadcast; this lets you know if the question was asked during which Q&A session during the course of the stream).