As a Plus member or higher, you can use the Beta version of Vimeo Record tool to easily record your screen and share the recording with others. Sharing your ideas is now more efficient — choose to record your screen, voice, face, or a combination, instantly upload and share your video message through Vimeo.
The Vimeo record tool can be installed as an extension in the Google Chrome browser here.
Click on the Vimeo logo in your browser extensions, connect your Vimeo account, grant access to camera and mic, and you can start recording.
To start recording, click on the Vimeo logo in your browser extension. You can choose from the following settings for your screen recording:
- Your full screen or current tab of your browser, just your camera, or both
- Camera (select external camera or computer default)
- Microphone (select external microphone or computer default)
With the camera enabled, the camera preview will default to the bottom left of the screen. However, you can also drag and drop camera preview to the area of the screen you want to record. You can also click the flip icon inside the preview to flip your camera view horizontally (i.e. if you want your camera to act like a mirror rather than a standard camera, you can flip the image).
Click Start recording when you are ready to start recording your video. If you are recording your screen, Chrome will prompt you to choose between your entire desktop screen, a specific application window, or a specific browser tab. Once you choose your screen source, click Share.
You will see a quick 3-2-1 countdown, and then your recording will be active. You can stop recording by clicking the Stop button next in the bottom left corner.
Some things to note:
- Recordings are currently limited to two hours.
- The recording will be interrupted if the extension loses access to the camera, microphone, or screen.
- If you aren’t logged into your Vimeo account, or lose internet connection during your recording, don’t worry. You’re recording will continue and be stored upon completion. Click the extension icon after you’ve logged in or regained connection to retry the upload.
Uploading and sharing videos
After you stop the recording, your video will automatically start uploading to your Vimeo account and will be added to a folder titled “recordings”. Please note: it is not possible to link a different folder to sync with these recordings (yet) and you cannot change the title of the folder. If you change the title of the “recordings” folder, a new “recordings” folder will be created.
You will be able to modify a few of the video’s settings in the modal that appears including privacy, title, and description. You can also copy the video’s share link to start sharing your message instantly. Closing out of the modal will not affect the upload process but you can delete the recording straight from the modal.
Currently, the extension defaults to setting your recordings to the private link privacy so you can share your video only with the people you choose. The default title of your recording will either be the name of the tab you recorded when the screen is enabled, or “New Recording” with the date and time if you only recorded your camera. To edit other settings, click on the gear icon next to the title to go to the video’s settings page on Vimeo.
Uninstalling the extension
To remove the Vimeo Record extension from your browser:
- Go to Chrome extensions by entering chrome://extensions/ into the URL field, then press the Enter key on your keyboard to navigate to it.
- Find the Vimeo Screen Recorder (Beta) extension.
- Click “Remove.”