- Create and manage events
- Go live to recurring events and webinars
- Go live to one time events
- Moderate live chat
- Control Polls and Q&A
- Create and control graphics overlays
- Admin limitations
Create and manage events
Team admins should log in to their own account and navigate to the team account using the team switcher at the top of the video manager.
Once there, the Live Events tab in the Video Manager will present admins with the complete list of created live events for the account. They can also create a new event.
Creating an event or opening an existing one brings up the live settings page. Admins can change the title, scheduled time, thumbnail, and description of the event. They can also access the embed code, change embed settings, or toggle on/off Live Chat.
Admins can then proceed with managing the event. How this works varies depending on the type of event you created.
Go live to recurring events and webinars
On the live settings or webinar management page, admins can open the Manage production menu and choose whether to Stream with Vimeo or Stream via RTMP.
Stream via RTMP will bring them to our preview page where they can either grab the code and stream key for the live event to configure an external encoder.
- Alternatively, they can download Livestream Studio from this page. They can then sign into their account and select the team account within Studio, allowing them to stream to the team account directly from Studio. Learn more.
Stream with Vimeo will bring the admin to the browser-based broadcast page where all production elements of the event can be configured and controlled by any admin on the team. There will be a team presence indicator at the top of the page to let you know if other members of your team are actively on the page.
- There is currently no way to restrict or assign areas of access to team members on the page.
⚠️Note: Currently only one member of the team can be an active broadcaster on the event. If you want another team member to be the main broadcaster:
- Make sure that the team member is actively on the broadcaster page.
- Click the Speakers icon on the left to open the Speakers panel.
- Hover over the top speaker slot (the broadcaster), then click the ••• menu.
- Click Switch camera.
- Choose the team member whose camera and microphone should be active.
- Note: A team member can also do this, such as if the active broadcaster leaves the page.
If you want to have multiple members of your team participate in the stream as guest speakers, you will need to invite them separately.
Go live to one time events
After the event settings page, the Admin can click Next and will land on the live preview page. By default, the Webcam tab will be selected. The admin’s webcam and microphone will be detected via their browser and they will become the active broadcaster for the event.
- Anyone else who accesses the page afterward will see a notification indicating the preview is open on another page as well as the preview of the active broadcaster’s webcam (this message also appears if you have the event page open in more than one browser window).
- A team member can take over with their own webcam by clicking change the preferred broadcasting device. They can also click RTMP settings in the upper right corner of the preview player to access the URL and Stream Key for the event and input that into an external encoder.
- If a team member does this, whoever previously was the broadcaster will go back to “read-only” mode and see the message and the new input source.
- Webcams can override other webcams both before and during the broadcast.
- RTMP streams will always override webcam previews, but RTMP streams cannot take over if a webcam is already streaming to the event.
- If an RTMP signal is interrupted while still in preview mode, other team members can still go live with a black screen. The broadcaster has 5 minutes to restore their RTMP stream before the event archives.
- Any admin can start the event broadcast by clicking Start stream in the upper right corner, even if a different team member’s camera or encoder is the source.
- Only one broadcaster can stream to a one-time event. If they leave the page, they will disconnect and the stream will be archived.
Admins could also select the Connect RTMPS tab and access both the RTMPS and Stream Key for the live event for configuring an external encoder. Alternatively, they can download Livestream Studio from this page and stream to the team account from there. Learn more.
Moderate live chat
Admins can toggle on Live Chat and can see messages appear in real-time. Admins have the ability to delete messages, ban users, and disable chat at any point in the stream. Banning a user prevents them from participating in that individual chat, but does not prevent them from participating in future chats. Admins can do this regardless if they are the active broadcaster for that event.
Control Polls and Q&A
Create and control graphics overlays
The graphics panel is also available to Admins, allowing them to create lower-thirds, fullscreen, and logo overlays, and control when they appear during the broadcast. Admins can do this regardless if they are the active broadcaster for that event.
- Admins cannot connect or disconnect simulcast destinations on the team account, although they can add or remove a destination for that particular broadcast if the desired destination is already connected to Vimeo.
- Admins also cannot authenticate API Integrations (including accessing Livestream Studio) on behalf of the account owner.
- Admins cannot delete events on the team account